Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dieting

There is no 4 letter word that I hate the most other than the word diet. I have reached my pinnacle of 270 pounds and I am 58 years old. I am an expert on dieting and an expert on failing as well. I was a chubby child but spent my early adult years with a good figure and the intelligence to maintain a healthy weight. I just don't know what happened. One day I was in a size 10 string bikini and next in granny panties. I look in the mirror and I don't see a fat woman. I see me. Not the real me, the me that my mind says I am. I have been lying to myself for 30 years and it has to stop now. In 1995 I lost 115 lbs from my all time high of 315 and I kept the weight off until I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and I gained back 70 pounds in a year. I have promised myself all kinds of things to keep on various diets that I have been on, I have thrown out all my "fat" clothes and now have nothing to wear . I can't wipe my butt the hygienic way because it's too big and I can't cross my legs. Despite what Weight Watchers touts dieting is NOT a group effort, it is a singular trial of determination, sweat, failure and hopefully success. I will succeed. I will keep this diary and post monthly pictures in an effort to keep me on tract and to provide encouragement for others in the same boat as me! I love life and want to live longer, healthier and happier. I want to be able to cross my legs, fly on a plane without cutting myself in half with the lap belt, have my energy back and wear high heels again. I want to wear a bathing suit and sit near thin people instead of picking a spot by those bigger than me. I want to walk into a place I haven't been to in a while and not be recognized. I will explore the reasons that cause me to placate my moods with food and deal with those things that bother me. I will never again "stop traffic" but I want to be the best that I can be. Join me on my journey.

3 comments:

  1. I am seriously laughing out loud and could hardly read this to Ben because I was laughing so hard -- NOT laughing AT you, laughing WITH you. Right? Yes, that's right. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie, for fixing the filter! Your site will help me try to get healthier and who knows, maybe even smaller underpants. However, I refuse to give up my beige nylon tricot full briefs -- no thongs for this behind no matter how skinny it gets! - Patti

    ReplyDelete